(or “Does this mean anything to YOOOOOO?”)*
Not sure why, but I’ve recently been contemplating the above - one hit blunderers. Bands who, despite prolonged success, only ever had one blindingly good hit and are only remembered for that one good song (justifiably or otherwise). I’m not talking novelty songs or one-hit wonders, mind; I’ll give you some examples.
1) Ultravox; “Vienna” is one of the finest pop songs of all time - the electropop Bohemian Rhapsody. The rest of their output is more like cold haggis served up by a tiny man with thinning hair and a moustache. Called “Midge”.
2) Supergrass; despite over 10 years of album releases and tours, no-one - not even members of the band - is aware of the existence any song of theirs other than “Alright“.
3) Rainbow. Bastard offspring of Deep Purple and the newly-invented perm, they have trudged their way through TWENTY TWO albums. Almost all of it is bilge. “Since You Been Gone“, however, is astonishing; the hair-metal Bohemian Rhapsody. Ignore the little man on YouTube.
4) The Beatles. Aside from their astonishingly prescient paean to our fragile marine ecology “Octopus’s Garden”, they were crap, really, weren’t they?
So how about your nominations?
* - get the reference in the context of the piece for an easy 5 Sandwich points.
This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 24th, 2007 at 9:22 pm and is filed under General, or uncategorized due to sloppy editing, Music. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.